“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
Everyone always says it… but does that make it true? For me, absolutely. A good breakfast definitely makes my day much better. And by “good,” I don’t mean boring cereal. And by “much better,” I mean less “hangry” with a reduced likelihood of ordering pizza in a fit of careless dietary abandon.
When I have time during the week, you might find me chucking together a quick and easy smashed avocado on toast, or whipping up some smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Who am I kidding? I’ll probably be cramming a (naughty but) nice piece of buttered toast in my mouth on the way out of the door.
However, it’s a different story at the weekend. One of my favourite things is waking up late (and by late I mean 7am, when the dog starts stretching, stops snoring, and chances a cheeky snuggle on the bed), then getting down to the serious business of breakfast.
These Chilli Scrambled Eggs are my absolute favourite weekend (or working from home) breakfast. I started making them when I first moved to Southsea, about seven years ago. They’re super filling and delicious… not to mention being a killer hangover cure.
This dish certainly doesn’t share the good looks of a perfectly ripe green avocado or beautifully pink smoked salmon… but I can guarantee that you won’t regret giving these kick ass eggs a whirl.
Note: This recipe is based on Nigella’s Mexican Scrambled Eggs… with a few of my own twists. Nigella is a huge inspiration of mine (alongside Ree Drummond/The Pioneer Woman), so I suggest trying both recipes.
- Splash olive oil/teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 seeded tortilla wraps (white or wholemeal)
- Handful baby plum or cherry tomatoes
- 3 medium spring onions
- 1 chilli, optional (red or green, deseeded or not, depending on how how you like it!)
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Sliced chilli, parsley and hot sauce (Cholula Original works perfectly) to serve
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and spring onions, and finely slice the chillies.
- Roll up both tortillas together and use a pair of scissors to cut into 1cm strips. Then unroll each strip.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and a splash of hot sauce. Whisk with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the tortillas and fry until they start to brown. Move to the side of the pan and turn down the heat.
- Add another small splash of oil to the empty side of the pan, and fry the tomatoes, onions, and chillies. Beware spitting! Cook until soft and starting to brown.
- Mix the tortillas with the tomatoes, onions and chillies.
- Pour over the eggs and keep the contents of the pan moving until the eggs are cooked.
- Serve with sliced chillies, a sprig of parsley, plenty of salt and pepper, and a generous splash of hot sauce.
2 thoughts on “Chilli Scrambled Eggs [Recipe]”
This will be a perfect treat for my weekend brunch. I have some Mexican chillies in the house, including pasilla so I will use those and see how it goes
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awesome! Let me know how you get on 🙂