Some people are great in the morning. They’re energetic, enthusiastic… awake! I am not. I love sleep.
My inability to get up early is obviously the reason for my track record of unsuccessful dieting. If only I could spring out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, throw on some freshly laundered and laid out gym clothes, and leap energetically out of the front door straight into a brisk and calorie-burning, effortless run… I’d be a svelte, lean goddess in no time.
Until this magical transformation takes place, the familiar routine continues: the alarm goes off, the dog grumbles, I grumble, we both put our heads under our covers, and snooze for as long as possible.
So, anything that affords me even a few extra minutes in bed is massively welcome. And when that means I can have a proper breakfast (read, not boring cardboard cereal), even better!
This is where this simple yet incredibly tasty breakfast comes in: quick and easy smashed avocado on toast. You can literally make it, eat it, and be out of the door within 10 minutes… and you won’t be starving again by 10 a.m.!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 slice sourdough bread (Waitrose Wheat & Rye Sourdough is my favourite)
- 1/2 lemon
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 baby plum tomato/fresh chilli (if you like an extra kick)
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the avocado lengthways, around the stone.
- Twist the two halves gently and separate.
- Scoop out the avocado’s innards with a tablespoon. Each half should come out easily and in one piece if it’s ripe.
- Cut each half into squares (see below). This makes it easier to smash while keeping some texture. Don’t hang around – your avocado will start to brown pretty quickly.
- Squeeze half a lemon over the avocado squares.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste and smash with a fork. Try to avoid creating a smooth paste – chunky is best!
- Toast your sourdough, then butter.
- Spread your avocado on the bread with a knife and top with extra salt/pepper/chilli flakes, if you like.
- Chuck a few slices of baby plum tomato or fresh chilli on top.
One thought on “Quick and Easy Smashed Avocado on Toast [Recipe]”